Sunday, January 1, 2012

First post - December 2011

In February 2011, I started tracking the comings and goings of the animals in Sudbury's Brues Woods with a scouting camera, with some of the results featured on SVT's Nature Sightings page. A few months in I figured out how to set up the camera to take 30 second video clips as well as still photos; the video clips can be seen here. Occasionally I brought my point-and-shoot camera with me to take pictures of whatever caught my interest; mostly tracks and scat. At long last, I'm creating a blog for the pictures and video, along with observations. I plan on visiting the place at least every other week, more frequently when possible.

For December, the scouting camera set up along the stream. The deer are plentiful:





NB the times are an hour fast because I forgot to adjust the timestamp setting for Daylight Savings Time back in November. That buck has to be the same one who's passed by that spot various times going back a few months.

Videos of the deer as well:


Three at once


Four at once

Extreme close up of the buck

Besides deer the camera also captured a kid playing hide and seek. Here she is jumping into a spot behind the tree:

Hope she checked herself for ticks afterward. Got a video of her as well, which I'm not posting since you can see her face at one point. From what I could tell she never saw the camera. Typically when people see it they walk right up and take a look at the lens. I should note that the camera isn't camouflaged at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment